Being a victim of IT band syndrome means crawling in a hellfire of extreme pain. When going to details, you will see you ended up with this condition due to overuse of your thigh bones and knees.
Usually, it catches those who frequently involve in activities that require more and more of your movements like, cycling, running, hiking, or even strolling long distances. So, most probably sportspeople and fitness lovers tend to have it more than others.
Some Stretching Poses To Get Relief From IT Band Syndrome
Either it is to attain fitness or to tone your body, you need to engage in several physical activities. you are likely to get injured, as you work harder to get better results.
There is a thick bunch of fibers in your body that runs from the outside part of your hips towards your thighs’ outside part, along with your knee, then ends at the top of the shinbone.
And this band of fibers is called “Iliotibial“, or IT band. Once you get to this, you will experience pain between the regions of your hip and knees, or sometimes the part below your knees too.
Stretches To Manage IT Band Syn
As you suffer a lot from pain, you can find solace after getting proper medical help. But, sometimes it is just a matter of doing some stretching exercises, with which you can see a significant difference. You also need to take proper rest, massage and use foam rollers for support too.
So, here are some IT band stretches to help you out of the pain.
1 Supine IT Band Stretch
- Stretch both of your hands by lying down on your back and putting them straight upward, perpendicular to your body to form a T, placing your palms down.
- Once you are done with stretching your arms, put them back down.
- Now fold your right leg next to your left knee placing your right foot flat on the ground.
- Put your left hand on your right knee.
- Slowly bring the right knee down to the ground while exhaling.
- Stay in this position until you finish a few deep and slow breaths, and go back to the initial position while inhaling deeply.
- Switch sides and repeat 15-20 times on each.
2 Leg Rises While Lying On Your Sides
- Lie on your left side placing your right hip directly straight over your left.
- You have to maintain your body in a straight line. Then press your right hand on the floor to support yourself.
- Your head needs support while doing it, and you can use either a pillow or simply fold your left hand under your head.
- Place your heels slightly higher than your toes, and slowly raise your right leg.
- Remain in this position for up to 5 seconds.
- Gently return to the initial position.
- Switch sides and repeat 15-20 times on each with 2-3 sets.
3 Cow Face Pose
- Sit on the ground keeping your spine straight.
- Bring your left knee and keep it near your navel.
- Slowly draw in your left foot towards your hip.
- Place your right knee above the left, crossing it.
- Keep your right heel and ankle to the outside part of your left hip.
- Stay in this position for up to 60 seconds.
- You can also try walking your hands before you make a fold into a forward bend.
- Remain in this pose for another 60 seconds.
- Switch sides and repeat 10-15 times.
4 Spinal Twist In Seated Position
- Seated on the floor, bring your right leg placing your right foot on the outside of your left hip.
- Fold your left leg placing your left foot flat on the ground, on the outside of your right thigh.
- While exhaling, twist your lower body to the left.
- Bend your hips and keep the tips of your right fingers on the ground.
- Cover your knees with the elbow, and look over your back shoulder.
- Remain in this pose for up to 50 seconds.
- Switch sides and repeat 5-10 times on each.
5 Cross Leg Forward Fold
- While standing up on the floor, cross your left leg over your right, keeping your right feet flat.
- Take a deep breath and while you breathe out, fold yourself towards the toes.
- Stay in this position until you finish a few breaths.
- Stand up and come to the initial position.
- Switch sides and repeat 10-15 times.
IT Band syndrome is indeed a complex issue but, you are lucky that you can get relief from it sooner since effective therapies are available for you.
You can consider trying deep massaging, hot and cold therapy, or even acupuncture. Some stretches are also helpful for you to get relief from pain.
But if you think you can’t bear the pa anymore, it is always better to seek medical help. At the same time, it is always better to follow a good diet with lots of veggies and fruits. Besides, stay well hydrated and try taking organic supplements.